Thursday, August 21, 2008

A Zoo on East Hill?

OK, I'll admit it. That was just a clever title to get you to read this posting, but if you're here, I succeeded. Allow me to explain the new "zoo" in Kent.

I live on the East Hill and our back yard is lined with trees and shrubs with a green belt on the other side. As a result, we have seen all sorts of suburban wild life including a handful of neighborhood cats. Here's the thing. They tend to congregate in my yard because (a) it isn't fenced in and (b) I feed one of the stray cats - the only one I know NOT to have a home. I feed him every morning and whenever he stops by during the day. I occasionally give him treats or a bowl of milk. He's so skinny; I couldn't forgive myself if he starved to death because I didn't do something about it.

The problem is that every other animal in the neighborhood seems attracted to the cat food too...other cats, squirrels, Stellar Jays, slugs and the other night a possum came up on the deck four times for a little bite of Friskies! At first I thought it was a huge rat - something I've never seen live - thank goodness - except for in a zoo exhibit or science class. When I saw how big the animal was though, I realized it was a possum...and not a cute one either!

My family used to tease me because of the cats that would visit. They affectionately (I think) called me the cat lady. After the possum though, I've been promoted to the position of head zoo keeper. I wonder what animals will be next - maybe I should start bringing in that food dish at night so I don't have to find out!

No comments: